"Money was maliciously introduced in ancient times as a tool of enslavement" -
Michael Tellinger

"The present belongs to the future and future generations, and all old laws, religious and other, should be abrogated immediately. Free us!" - Vinay Gupta on Twitter

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." - R. Buckminster Fuller

"You find the strangest ways to be positive!" - Diane Duane, Wizards Abroad

Monday, June 18, 2012

Literature for the Fantasy-Prone, part 3: an online course in "Fantasy and Science Fiction: The Human Mind, our Modern World

What he said... As a follow up to my previous posts here and here on what I've called (with a reference to a topic in psychology) literature for the fantasy-prone... I couldn't say it better than this fellow, Eric S. Rabkin. I would have killed for a course like this when I was in college; instead my reading in this area at the time was all beyond the pale, academically. It included many of the books in this curriculum.

Though (if I might be permitted a personal digression) when I returned to a different university to finish my degree and do some graduate studies several years later, I was finally allowed, in an advance course in Twentieth Century Experimental Literature, to do a paper on Joanna Russ's The Female Man instead of the suggested authors. That reminded me of the  wonderful Peter Brunette, who also taught me so much about film when I was at GMU. Come to think of it, he encouraged me to to submit my criticism in his film course to JumpCut and some other publications of the day, but I couldn't see in myself what he saw in me. We remember the good professors. Well, here I am, still writing in my small way, anyway, even about film sometimes--and remembering the prof who helped shape my talent for understanding what I was seeing in a film. The final quote in the post linked above seems to speak directly to the course, below:
"There is a place for films that challenge preconceptions … for films that explore the meaning of being human in an important way." - Peter Brunette
Books, too. Anyway, I saw this course referenced on the SFF Audio blog. Go there for details of the course, or here. It can be taken online, and most of the materials are free ebooks! To see the video embedded below on YouTube, go to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgNrVnjvjKo



If you like this literature, see past posts I've tagged science fiction: http://mypersonalblogccm.blogspot.com/search/label/science%20fiction
And fantasy: http://mypersonalblogccm.blogspot.com/search/label/fantasy

And with reference to the book cover above, Left Hand of Darkness,  click the next link for an interesting online discussion.

No comments: