"Money was maliciously introduced in ancient times as a tool of enslavement" -
Michael Tellinger

"The present belongs to the future and future generations, and all old laws, religious and other, should be abrogated immediately. Free us!" - Vinay Gupta on Twitter

"You never change things by fighting the existing reality. To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete." - R. Buckminster Fuller

"You find the strangest ways to be positive!" - Diane Duane, Wizards Abroad

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Happy Mother's Day 2012

Great goddess from Nina Paley's masterpiece
Sita Sings the Blues. Watch the film and find the Mother Goddess at the end!

My mother always pooh-poohed Mother's Day on the grounds that it was just a commercial holiday created to sell flowers and cards, in a country where women didn't have equal rights and mothers were blamed by the psychological establishment for everything that went wrong with their kids. We kids always showed our respect for her by not making a fuss about her on the day. When she was elderly she let it slip that she really wouldn't have minded if we'd done something.... Life in my upside-down family.

Anyway, she must have known something about the real history of it (which I referenced in this earlier  post) ... or maybe she didn't. The thing the corporate world doesn't tell us is that Mother's Day is supposed to be about peace!

Nowadays we take it to the planetary and even the Universal scale, but I like this nicely centered Earth based symbol, a sticker I have on my window (I bought it at the local Shop'N'Kart):
http://www.goddessgift.net/page58.html
Air Goddess (East, Spring), Fire Queen (South, Summer), Water Goddess (West, Fall), Earth Mother (North, Winter), Ether/Inner Space Goddess (Center, Eternity). In between the Goddesses are the moon cycle, and the creatures of the earth. 


We're all connected. Happy Mother's Day every day. There's Gaia, and then there's Gaia. They're all beautiful. We all have the same mother, and we ARE all mothers together, to the future of our Earth.



2 comments:

franky said...

Well, phooey, Chris, I tried to comment on this and my google account was not up to date. I just wanted to say that I am sorry your mom did not allow you to recognize her on Mother's Day. I always think that ANY excuse to celebrate is a good one:-) Celebrating the most important job you have in life is a cause for lots of joy. My sister's mother-in-law always said "any idiot can have a baby" and wouldn't allow them to celebrate her either. I wonder what things from their childhood made them feel this way? I revel in my children's remembrance of me every year. I hope I didn't tell you this already, but my daughter gave me a card that made me cry, and my son gave me a card that made me laugh. That is very typical of both of them, and something I am proud to have fostered in each of them:-) Thank you for this post.

Chrism929 said...

Well, then, a belated happy Mother's Day to you, Franky! Great to know the human aspect trumps the commercial in real life :)